About Me

header ads

Lae Metropolitan Superintendent Commander Anthony Wagambie Jnr content with where he is. Not After Top Job.


Lae Metropolitan Superintendent Commander and PNG Top Cop Anthony Wagambie Jnr




In a lengthy post on Facebook, Lae Metropolitan Superintendent Commander and PNG Top Cop Anthony Wagambie Jnr who came from a line police officers serving the country in Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary recounts his childhood, teenage years and turning point in his life that made him want to become a Police Officer.





Enjoy reading





"To all my family, friends and supporters. I humbly acknowledge and appreciate all the support given. I have no intention and have not been openly lobbying to take the top Police job. I am happy where I am. I love my job and I love serving to make our community safe.





I will tell you why I became a Police man.






I grew up as a son of a Police Officer. I was born the first born son
of Anthony Wagambie Snr. He was then an Inspector of Police based in Lae
and my mum Elizabeth Wagambie nee Saun was a Pediatric Nurse at Angau
Hospital. Our first home was at Salamanda flats Lae where we shared with
former Commissioner of Police and my uncle Mr Peter Aigilo. Uncle Peter
was a young Sub Inspector at that time.





Anyway, when I was born
, my dad named me after him, so that's why I am Anthony Wagambie Jnr
today. My dad always said I would be a Policeman just like him.






So when I was a baby, he always put his officer's peak cap on my head
and said " He will be a Policeman just like me and his bubuman"( both my
grandfathers were Policemen. My dad's father was a First Constable and
my mum's father was a Senior Sergeant, both War veterans).





So I grew up always thinking that I would be a cop.






My mum and Dad's albums have alot of photographs of me dressing up as a
Policeman, especially a Riot Squad ( today Mobile Sqaud) officer. With
my dad's peak cap on my head, track suit tucked into my gum boots and
carrying a water gun.





That was my dream to be in the riot squad.





I grew up always wanting to get on a Police vehicle.






The turning point in my life, and this is what cemented everything. I
was Grade 11 at Divine Word Institute, which is now Divine Word
University . I came home for holidays in Lae and was to go back to
school. There was a bridge that has collapsed due to heavy rain so my
parents decided to send me back to school by air on Air Niugini. This
was 1993, and ANG had a route which came from POM to Nadzab and on to
Madang.





I got on that flight and we were off to Madang. We
arrived late in the afternoon. In those days there were no Mobile
phones, we depended on Public pay phones.





We arrived at Madang airport only to find out that the school bus was not there to pick us up.





On that flight, from us school kids were only two makes. Another boy and myself. The rest were girls.






We never knew that the previous weekend , there had been a fight
between our DIWAI soccer team and a team from the surrounding Community
at the airport.





We landed in hot soup. The kids from the soccer
team somehow learnt that DIWAI student had arrived back and were in the
terminal.





This was the last flight and the aircraft had already departed.





All of a sudden we realized that the young men from the community had started to block off the gate to attack us.





At that point of time, the first time in my life I felt the fear of being attacked. I felt hopeless and helpless of how I would defend the girls( their panicking didn't help at all).





From being in a home of feeling protected because my dad was a senior Police Officer to feeling helpless.






All of a sudden we saw a Police 15 seater bus speeding up the road with
it's blue lights on. When the kids blocking the gate saw this, they ran
in all directions.





When I saw the Police , I felt safe. I felt comfort that help was here.






When the bus pulled up, it was only one very old Policeman , with no
gun, and Mrs Kalasim, the wife of then PPC Madang papa Mr Robert
Kalasim.





They were on theei way to the airport to check on one
of their relatives, only upon seeing the front gate crowded the old
copper put on the blue lights. That blue light made me feel safe.





The girls she'd tears of joy and relief.
I was so taken aback by what the presence of a Police vehicle could do.






At that point of time, I made my choice. I said to myself " That's it, I
want to be like that, I want to make people feel safe, I want to make a
difference!".





So Family, I want to make a point.





I am not after the top job, I am happy where I am doing what I am doing. All I want to do is make my Community safe. As long as everyone feels safe, then I am satisfied."





God Bless you all, thank you for reading .


Post a Comment

0 Comments