About Me

header ads

PNG RAP CULTURE BATTLE LEAGUE


PNG Rap Culture- A rap battle league designed to incorporate positive messages such as Anti-Cult, Anti-School/Inter School fighting as well as HIV/AIDS awareness into its battles.




By Jonny Dean (PNG Rapper/MC)





If you read my last post on Planet Native, you would have come across the above. Now at present there are a few rap battles been hosted from time to time at prime locations like Vision City by Rap Battle Leagues such as the Street Stylers.





Back when I was a Kid there
was some sort of rap battle that used to go down at Club Junction, I
never attended one as I was under age but I do remember my big cousin
brother (I Yen I) signing up. After that time I never heard of any
official rap battles going down in Port Moresby until Coutre and Suki
from Planet Native started it out.





This rap battle league exposed
some of Pom City’s finest rapper’s you hear today such Shouby Rackaz,
Bonkaz , Big Saigon & Mac Dee from Alternatives, Noxxy Dawg, Planet
Native and Foe Foe & Ffive Star. There were more rappers (Shout to
you all) who took part in this rap battle league.





Apart from the
mad bars these rappers tossed at each other during their battles, at the
end it was all love and respect for each other and the mindset to put
PNG hip-hop rap out there for people to recognize this art and talent in
these youths.





The first shows were held at the Taro & Kari
Restaurant at Waigani – Port Moresby (Shout out to the management for
the venue) . The turn up’s were amazing and Tattz from Naka Blood always
helped us with the sound equipment for the event. The Rap battles were
eventually moved to Port Moresby Country Club now known as Laguna Hotel
than to Port Moresby Arts Theatre.





Apart from the rap battles,
this event also gave rappers in Port Moresby the chance to network with
other rappers and share ideas. There was also an open mic session after
the battles so anyone who wanted to drop a verse could step up and do
his/her thing while a random beat was played. A YouTube channel was
created and a few of the battles that were recorded were posted online
(Link below).





I also took part in this rap battle league and it
helped me a lot in terms of upgrading my skill level. One of my
favourite battles that you can find on the PNG Rap Culture YouTube
Channel was between myself and a brother of mine David Pepson aka D-Pep.
It was a solid battle (I think), and he won. It was a great experience.






The rap battles have ceased as most of us who were involved ventured
into making music, however other rap battle leagues have emerged and
currently have their shows.





I’d like to say a thank you to everyone who was part of this culture! Look where we are now.





Check out their Facebook page and YouTube link below.





https://www.facebook.com/PNG-Rap-Culture-516376075120224/





https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr3u901DiWbciCze8scOf3g


Post a Comment

0 Comments